Thursday 14 October 2010

Tuesday 5th October 2010 Pierrefitte. Day off

Mooring at Pierrefitte, canal lateral a la Loire.

Heavy rain through the night woke us several times so we didn’t sleep well, consequently we were still snoring when there was a knock on the cabin at 10.30 a.m. so Mike stuck his head out the side doors to say au’voir to John and Lizanne and Anna and Nigel who were off to moor two locks up by the junction at Digoin. John insisted he would cycle back to collect the car later. I got on with the chores and Mike went down into the engine room to check what bearings he had in store. Turned out all of them had been part used so he wouldn’t change them until he gets new ones from the UK. He put out samples to take back with us of the two types he needed to get. After lunch he went for a nap and I put my laptop on. Had an email from a blog reader (thanks, again!) with very interesting info about WiFi. I did a bit more on Ancestry and accidentally discovered the first person in my tree to leave a will, so I purposefully set about checking wills in my immediate family. Unfortunately the most recent records were in 1941, but my great granddad’s will was there (for an iron moulder he left a staggering £930 in 1924 to his widow and two of his sons) as was his widow’s (she left £210 to my granddad and his brother) Just us on the quay overnight. Brilliant stars with an absolutely clear sky, you could count the stars in the Pleiades! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/June-Brockway/100000574207416